bonoman66
2012-10-03T18:21:02Z
Hi,

I've been using iBox Mobile on an Android Tablet without any issues for a couple of weeks & found it a super service.

However I recently purchased another Android device (Samsung Galaxy S3 running standard stock ICS from eMobile - not rooted etc..) & when I run the iBox Andoid App most of the TV channels don't play correctly - all have the same symptoms.

They initially start ok but have a Green Triangle in the bottom right corner of their playing screen (its not an issue with the phone display itself).

Then after approx 10 seconds the picture just freezes but the sound continues normally.

Here's a list of the affected channels

TV3
TG4
3e
BBC1
BBC2
Channel 4
Channel 4 +1
E4
E4+1
Channel 5
Channel 5 +1
5 USA
5 USA +1
5 STAR
5 STAR +1
BBC 3
BBC 4
More 4
More 4 +1
CBS Drama
Horror
H&C
Film
Film +1
Movies 4 Men
True movies
True Movies 2
RTE News Now
BBC News
Evening News
CNBC
Pop
Bliss
Fresh New Tunes
Dance Nation
Flava

These ones below play fine on my Galaxy S3

RTE 1
RTE 2
RTE 1 +1
UTV
UTV +1
ITV2
ITV2 +1
ITV3
ITV3 +1
ITV4
ITV4 +1
CBS Action

Its a strange problem & one I hope someone can help me with please.

Its a new phone & I've no other issues with the phone. I can play Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc etc..

I've tested the iBox streaming over WiFi & seperately on the mobile network but the problem still exists with the affected channels mentioned in this post.

I've tried uninstalling the iBox Android App & then re-installing it, but that doesn't fix the issue.

I've also tried just logging into the iBox Website on the Samsung Galaxy S3 but the same symptoms exist with the affected channels listed above.

Any help , tips or advice appreciated or if you need me to test anything & report back, please just let me know.

Its just weird the way 12 channels play perfectly but the rest don't ?

Thanks,

Trev
IBOX-star19
2012-10-04T10:13:49Z
Hi Trev,

This is an interesting problem ok. Can you tell us when you would have last had the problem on your S3 so we can check our logs?
bonoman66
2012-10-04T10:23:31Z
Thanks for getting back.

Yes - its weird alright.

Its a constant problem with the phone - I'm having it right now on the Galaxy S3.

It only appears to affect the Galaxy S3 as the channels are all always fine on the Android Touchpad (I've gone back & forth between the 2 different devices to check).

For some reason the Galaxy S3 just appears to have a constant problem with the affected channels I've listed above, yet it plays back the other 12 channels without any problems.

bonoman66
2012-10-04T10:35:21Z
Just to recap -

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3

Country of Origin: Bought from eMobile in Ireland

Age of Phone: Brand new (24/09/2012 is eMobile Date on box of phone) - I only have the phone 3 days.

Model = GT-I9300

Android Version = 4.0.4 (Standard Samsung Ice Cream Sandwich as supplied with the phone - not rooted or modded in any way)

Problem Occurs On = WiFi over 120MB UPC home connection & The Mobile Carrier Network (eMobile)

Number Affected Channels = 36

Symptom = All have the same problem. Green Triangle appears in bottom right hand corner of screen window, video stream starts to play, then just freezes after approx 10 seconds but audio continues as normal.

Number of Unaffected Channels = 12

When Does problem Occurs = Anytime I use iBox on the Phone (either the Android App or via the iBox web interface)

Don't hesitate to let me know if you need more information or need me to test something for you. Unfortunately I've no other Android device (phone) to run other tests on..

IBOX-star19
2012-10-04T10:43:43Z
Great, thanks for all the info, very helpful. Leave it with us and we'll investigate and get back to you.
IBOX-rover
2012-10-04T11:58:43Z
Hi bonoman66,

Thanks again for reporting this problem in such detail. The information is very useful. We tested the Galaxy S3 with our service, some time ago, and it was working OK. However our test S3 recently received a firmware upgrade, and it is now showing the same problems as you describe. So our initial conclusion is that Samsung may have introduced a change in the video player software, in this latest version of the firmware, which is causing this problem.

We are continuing to investigate the issue, and it would be very useful if you could provide us with the software version information from your phone. This can be viewed in the Settings -> About page. Probably the easiest way for you to collect this info, is to take a screenshot on the phone, and email it to service@ibox.ie.

To take a screenshot, press the power and home keys at the same time, and hold them for about 2 seconds. This should save the screenshot in your photo gallery, and from there you can attach it to an email. Or if you prefer you can simply type the information into an email.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Rover
bonoman66
2012-10-04T12:16:18Z
Hi Rover,

Thanks so much for your time & expertise in looking into this for me. I've just followed your instructions above & sent that email with the screenshot - hopefully, I've sent you what you needed. I'm sincerely grateful for the insight into what the problem may relate to as I do appreciate how troublesome a situation like this can be when you have no control over what other device manufacturers do with regards to updates etc.. I went through something similar a few years back when HD-DVD came out & it was also tricky related to the bitrate of certain HD-DVDs (how they were authored by certain film/distribution companies) - causing drop outs in the soundtracks to some movies - it required a firmware update from the mfg of the AV Receiver I had in order to resolve ;-)

I'm a bit techie & like my gadgets (I know enough to be dangerous as the saying goes - but definately not a 'know all' ;-))

This is not a 'show stopper' by any means to don't pressure yourselves too much or feel a need to prioritize / rush this etc.. but it would be great at some stage to be able to get all the channels on the SGS3 if its possible.

Appreciate all your effort & communications on this.

Cheers,

Trev

IBOX-rover
2012-10-04T12:51:38Z
Hi Trev,

We received the screenshot thanks. The S3 is a very popular phone, so its important that we solve this issue ASAP.

Thanks.

Rover
IBOX-rover
2012-10-31T14:53:30Z
In recent days the Galaxy S3 phones in Ireland have been receiving an Android upgrade to 4.1 (Jelly Bean). This upgrade seems to have solved the problem.

Rover